Overlooking the Potomac River from the back porch of the home.
Tomb of George Washington. Cole's roommate and good friend from scouts got to lead the Pledge of Allegiance and the another one of his friends got to partake in the Wreath Ceremony. Both boys were able to sign the National Book of Archives. By the time Cole and I arrived at the tomb they were beginning the pledge and we only had 5 minutes to get to the bus so we didn't stay for the ceremony. What a shame. Cole would have been able to sign the book, too.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Mt. Vernon
Day four started with a very short trip to Mt. Vernon. We were given 75 minutes here and I think I could have spent the entire day here soaking up the beauty of the land and the history. An hour and a half is not near enough time for an individual, let alone a school group, to enjoy this place and appreciate all it stands for.

Sculpture of George & Martha Washington with their children.
Many beautiful stained glass windows depicting historical events and familial events pertaining to George Washington and his family.
Home of George Washington. This is where he lived both before and after his presidency. This is where his children were born and raised.
We didn't get to tour the home simply because there wasn't enough time for it. I hope to get to some day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment