Yes, that day has come.
The one I've been dreading for so long.
Today is the day I finally took the "nonna" (pacifier) away from Ella. I was originally going to wait until her 2-year-old dental visit and give them to the dentist. You see, our pediatric dentist keeps a collection of pacifiers on her wall from children who are giving up the habit. I thought it would be a great thing for Ella to do and something that would make the point to her that she was done. Unfortunately, the longer I wait, the stronger her attachment to it becomes. So, today I took it away. I thought of just giving it to her for nap and at bedtime, but quickly realized that we needed to go cold turkey. I just put her down for her nap and she is crying intermittently and requesting her "nonna" repeatedly. I'm hoping this only lasts a day or two.
The big problem is that I seem to have forgotten how many nonna's we have. I have collected 4, and I believe we have at least 1, if not 2 more roaming around here somewhere. So, my hope is that I find them before she does. Wish us luck! I will update in a few days to let you know how my experiment went.
Oh, my heart goes out to you. Good luck, I hope the transition is fast and easy. :)
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you devise a way to get rid of a thumb b/c we can't just throw it out.
Abby, I hate to tell you this, but Kelsey sucked her two middle fingers as a baby and we still have a hard time getting her to stop. She's now 6 1/2 years old. Thankfully, she only sucks them at night, but we're resolved to the fact that it will take one of her peers saying something about it before she's willing to give it up. We've tried everything. Ella started out as a thumb sucker and we quickly pushed the pacifier because we knew we could one day take it away. Good luck to you. I hope Linus is feeling better soon.
ReplyDelete-Jeannie
How I hate days like these. I am sure Ella will adjust soon. I share similar thoughts about the thumb. Katie is my only thumb sucker and I am sure it will be one of her peers that will make her stop. Oh the joys of being a parent. I hope today is not to tough on you. Those little ones can sometimes hold out a long time. You are in my thoughts!
ReplyDeleteAre you sure it's really time to take it away? She can't be old enough yet can she? It's a good think Nana's have no say in some of the necessary decisions. We become mush. One big blob of mush. SHE NEEDS HER NONNA! I PLEAD FOR HER! PLEASE DON'T LET HER CRY!
ReplyDeleteIs the guilt working? Love you. Good luck!