Sunday, December 28, 2008

Eventful Christmas Break

I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas Day. We had so much fun watching the kids and grandparents opening presents and just being together Christmas day that we didn't get around to taking many pictures at all. The pictures we did take didn't allow you to see the gifts received or the kids enjoying their gifts. Go figure! Jason did, however, capture quite a bit of video during the gift opening.

This year, Santa left us colorful foil wrapped chocolate ornaments hung on our tree. Ella quickly discovered this before ever turning to gifts. I don't know if the other two ever did catch onto what Ella had discovered. It was quite comical and messy to say the least. There were chocolate crumbs all over our rug and hardwood floors and Ella, of course. I didn't care, though, she was completely enjoying herself. Who am I to take candy from a baby on Christmas. Later that day while I was napping, Jason came running into our bedroom, angry and frantic, to tell me that he needed me right then. The Christmas tree had somehow toppled over and there was water and glass from broken ornaments on the floor. At least he got a small taste of what my days are like. This isn't much different than a normal day for me and our household. I just had to laugh at him for being so uptight. Now he understood, somewhat how I feel.

Our true excitement began at 4:20am Friday morning as Jason and I headed to St. Vincent's Hospital with Kelsey in tow. Beginning at 7:00am, she was wheeled back to surgery to say goodbye to her tonsils and adenoids. We've been warned by the doctor and many friends that this would be a rough 10 days, but I have to say that she's been quite the trooper. She did get sick in the car on the ride home from the hospital Friday morning, but we were prepared with 2 sacks. Within 2 hours, she was requesting mac & cheese. We were sent home on an all liquid diet for the first 24 hours, but her persistence and ability to keep down liquids led me to believe that she could tolerate the food. I was correct. She did well and we couldn't stop her from eating most of the day. Her diet right now consists mainly of pudding, popsicles, homemade mac & cheese (her favorite), ice cream, juice and applesauce. We're on day 3 and she's doing great!

We had more excitement today, though!. Jason took Cole and Ella to church. After church they came home and ate lunch. Jason and Cole changed clothes and headed out to Oak Mountain State Park to do some hiking. What they thought would be a nice 2-3 hour hike, turned into a 6 hour visit away from home. Apparently they hiked up the mountain to a small waterfall/creek. They were crossing the creek when Cole slipped on a slippery wet rock and gashed his leg open which required a visit to the Children's Hospital After Hours Clinic. Seven stitches later, he's home and proud to be the owner of those stitches.

I don't know if I can handle much more excitement right now. I'm having a hard time just keeping medications straight. Ella's recovering from a double ear infection requiring one dose of antibiotic a day which will thankfully end tomorrow. Kelsey is having to take her pain medication every 4 hours and an antibiotic twice a day, and now Cole is on Tylenol every 4 hours for pain until his leg begins healing which should be in about 2 days and requires a dressing change twice a day. In a perfect world, all of the medication would be taken simultaneously. However, we DO NOT live in a perfect world. Needless to say I'm tired of writing down when everyone receives their medication just so I don't get anymore confused than I already am. Just 2 days ago, Cole told me that his throat was hurting as I was preparing Ella's dose of medication. I proceeded to give Cole the antibiotic without even thinking about what I was doing. When I did realize my mistake, Cole quickly spit out the medication as I and my mom laughed hysterically.

I know my life will return to normal someday, I'm just not sure if I'll understand what normal is by that point. I wish everyone an uneventful and wonderful new year. We're leaving this year on a bang in the Dickerson household. I hope that you don't have to. Enjoy your holidays with your loved ones. God bless all of you.

7 comments:

  1. Dearheart, I would say that things cannot get any worse, but I'm afraid I might be proven otherwise. So, how about: I'm sure things will look up soon (big smiley face envisioned here). Only positive thoughts allowed. Love you all, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! That is far too much excitement! I'm glad that you are all okay though, even if you're held together with stitches and scotch tape :0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that's quite a lot of excitement and medication. I could never keep it all straight. I'm having a hard enough time with Linus's doses of Motrin for his incoming molars.

    I think the story about the tree toppling is hilarious. Isn't it funny how daddy crises require mommy help, but mommy handles them all day without assistance? Glad he got a little taste though.

    Hope things improve around your house and you're able to return to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you're so funny! I think that's so hilarious that Cole got the antibiotic...not sure it could have hurt anything! Hee-hee! I'm so glad Kelsey is doing so well and hope Ella is healing, too. Kiss all those little people from Aunt Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a week you have had. That story about Jason cracks me up. I hope that all gets better soon. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeannie you certainly have your hands full! Two little ones with crisis at once! Kudos to you mom!!! Happy Holidays and happy new year! Love to all of you! Terry B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leaving 2008 with a bang sounds accurate to me! I just hope that 2009 doesn't start with a bang too. Look at it this way.... lots of memories and funny stories for years down the road. Miss you guys!

    - Karen

    ReplyDelete